ABDO Vacancy: Principal Examiner
The ABDO Examinations Department, acting on behalf of The Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers (WCSM) is seeking a Principal Examiner who will have particular responsibility of overseeing the provision of all written examination papers for optical professional support staff at education level two three and four.
The post holder will be employed by ABDO and responsible to WCSM Qualifications Committee, this role is to uphold the quality of WCSM qualifications;
Principal Examiner Responsibilities
- Requesting examination papers from paper setters
- Checking all qualification assessment criteria are covered in a four year cycle
- Moderating draft examination papers and agreeing changes with paper setters
- Submitting examination papers for external moderation
- Receiving, discussing and implementing changes from the external moderator
- Submitting papers to ABDO Examinations for formatting
- Proofreading final papers
- Completing feedback reports in response to candidate requests
- Responding to candidate queries, complaints and appeals in accordance with regulatory requirements
- Considering candidates’ requests for reasonable adjustment and special consideration in extenuating circumstances
- Seconding mark a selection of papers and provide feedback to examiners
- Providing training and support for new and existing examiners
- Attending Qualifications Committee meetings
- Contributing to the content and assessment design of new and existing WCSM Qualifications
- Close liaison with the ABDO Examinations team on all matters concerning the appointment and performance of paper setters and markers and to ensure the smooth running of examinations
- Support and technical expertise for WCSM, as required for any other matter relating to qualifications
- Occasional representation of WCSM and speaking opportunities at trade conferences and presentations.
Experience and personal Qualities
- The post holder should have:
At least 3 years’ experience as an Optometrist or Dispensing Optician
A good understanding of academic principles and assessment settings for different levels.
Wide knowledge of the theory and practical application of optical studies.
Strong IT skills
Self-motivation with a commitment to deliver high quality assessments on time and regulatory standards.
Ability to develop excellent working relationships with examiners, moderators the ABDO Examinations Department and WCSM.
£750 per Examination session, plus expenses to ABDO and WCSM meetings or at occasional representation to trade conferences and presentations.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter to Emma Siers, Human Resources, ABDO College, Godmersham Park, Kent CT4 7DT or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications 30th October. Interview date 6th November.