Vacancy: Assistant Principal Examiner
The ABDO Examinations team, acting on behalf of The Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers (WCSM), is seeking an Assistant Principal Examiner. This person will have particular responsibility for units of WCSM examination assessments at levels 2 to 4 specifically designed to assess the ability of optical assistants and support staff working in practice.
The qualifications are approved by Ofqual. It is a condition of this role that an examiner may not set papers for a unit if they are, or have in the last 12 months been, a tutor for ABDO College courses leading to an WCSM examination in that unit.
1. To work closely with the Principal Examiner in reviewing assessment criteria, updating and developing syllabi and assessment materials to maintain the relevance of qualifications for optical assistants and support staff in practice.
2. In conjunction with the Principal Examiner, to supervise the setting and marking of papers for written units and/or practical sections for which they have responsibility, in accordance with the Regulatory Authorities’ criteria and the WCSM Awarding Body’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) including those on consistency, style and level.
3. To liaise with examination paper setters and markers to ensure delivery of examination questions and answers within the agreed timetable for each examination sitting.
4. To review and approve questions and model answers before moderation and to implement any adjustments recommended by the Moderation panel.
5. To take responsibility for setting and/or marking papers for units in the case of unexpected illness or absence of an Examiner, ensuring that all Assessment Criteria for each unit are covered over a three year period.
6. To assist with the maintenance and organisation of question banks.
7. To provide reports for the guidance of candidates and employers and to respond to enquiries, appeals and complaints as set out in the WCSM SOPs.
8. To assist in selecting examiners for subsequent approval by the Qualifications Committee and appointment on probation.
9. To assist in the development and review of practical examinations at level 4.
10. To provide on-going assessment of, and developmental feedback to, question setters and markers following each examination sitting.
11. To be involved in the creation and delivery of training for question setters and markers.
12. To deputise if necessary for the Principal Examiner at meetings of the WCSM Qualifications Committee, the WCSM Annual Presentation Ceremony and external briefings or debates.
The expected time commitment is 20 days per year with peaks in both February to April and June for Summer sittings and August to October and December for Winter sittings. WCSM examinations are currently held twice a year.
Experience and Personal Qualities
The post holder will need to have:
– At least five years’ experience as an Optometrist or Dispensing Optician.
– A good understanding of academic principles and assessment setting for different levels.
– Wide knowledge of the theory and practical application of optical studies. WCSM offers a range of optional units in which the Assistant Principal Examiner will be expected to have a good overall knowledge.
– Recent experience of managing optical assistants in practice or a community or charity environment.
– Strong IT skills.
– Self motivation with a commitment to deliver high quality assessments on time and to regulatory standards.
– Ability to develop excellent working relationships with examiners, moderators, the ABDO Examinations Team and WCSM.
£600 per examination session, plus additional fees at standard examination rate for paper setting and marking.
ABDO will also pay travelling expenses to and from ABDO/WCSM meetings.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to Mark Chandler at ABDO Examinations Team, The Old Dairy, Godmersham Park, Godmersham, Kent CT4 7DT or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2018